Together and with The Power of We, we can start a revolution. One Soul at a time... ~Jon Bon Jovi *** There's a Story on every street corner, my friend. All you have to do is open your eyes... ~Richie Sambora

It's Been 70 Years...

Thursday, September 24, 2009



Since we first followed Dorothy and Toto over the rainbow only to land on the Wicked Witch of the East in Munchkinland. Can you believe it? I couldn't either when my sister-in-law called and asked if I wanted to go with her to see it. Come on, it's the Wizard of Oz, how could I not want to go?



Last night at one of our local movie theaters they screened a new re-mastered Hi-Def version of the movie. It was a one night only special affair. I knew nothing of this when I got the call from my sister-in-law (who is named Dorothy, seriously) but I'm glad I said "sure, I'll go".

After so many years of watching it on television, it was great to see it on the big screen. The first part of the movie has been restored to its original sepia tones and the colors in the second half are still as vivid now as they were the first time I saw it.



Who doesn't love this movie? Who wouldn't love to escape to somewhere over the rainbow? I know there are days when I'd like to fly beyond the moon, beyond the rain.



And who wouldn't love to meet up with the likes of the Scarecrow, the Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion? I still laugh every time our favorite Lion sings "If I, if I were King." Bert Lahr was the perfect person to play that role. I mean, really, who else could rhyme words like rhinoceros, hippopotamus and elephant with such sincerity and all the while wearing a broken flower pot crown on top of his freshly permed mane?



And let us not forget the mean and nasty Wicked Witch of the West with her smoking broomstick and her creepy flying monkeys.

*insert evil laugh here*

She'll get you and your little dog too if you're not careful.



All in all I had a great time last night watching a much-loved movie that, for me at least, will never lose its charm. I think, no matter how old you are and no matter how many times you have seen it, you won't ever tire of it. It is a timeless classic.

Amazon has several versions of the movie, including the new 70th anniversary special edition. I think I might be making a purchase. I do own an earlier version, but it's on VHS. Definitely time to upgrade.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Queenie would love to know who's following along. Comments are both encouraged and appreciated!

Queenie's Loyal Subjects

About Me

My photo
I am and always have been a Bon Jovi fan. This blog is just my obsession taken a step further, my imagination in high gear if you will. I love to read and decided to see what would happen when I took that love of the written word and ramped it up a bit.

You Can Go Home

Jon Bon Jovi Soul Foundation

The Traveling Guitar

What Q Has to Say

30th Anniversary Access Hollywood Advil Aftermath of the Lowdown Albums AMAs American Idol Articles Auctions Avon Awards Bamboozle Festival Because We Can Because We Can - the Tour Benefit Concert Biker Bash Billboard bits and bobs Bon Jovi Books Born to Be My Baby Bruce Springsteen Burning Bridges Calvin and Hobbes Campaign Can Do Awards Cari Quinn Characters Unite Christmas CNN Comics Concerts Contests Danny Gokey Daughtry David Bergman David Bryan Digital Download Disaster Aid Discography Diving Into Hampton Water Do What You Can DVDs DVR Alerts Extra Facebook Fan Club favorites Fictionistas Football Forbes Fun Stuff Fundraisers Golden Globes Golf Greatest Hits gulf shores Hamptons Happy Now Hard Rock Calling Holidays Hugh McDonald Hurricane Sandy In Memoriam Inside The Actor's Studio Interviews Jazz Fest Jennifer Nettles Jon Bon Jovi Jon Bon Jovi and Friends Jon Bon Jovi Soul Foundation Keep The Faith Kings of Suburbia Letterman London Love's The Only Rule Madison Square Garden Master Class MDA Telethon Memphis Merchandise Merry Christmas Midnight Mission Miscellaneous Mohegan Sun Montreal Movies MTV Awards Music New Jersey New Meadowlands Stadium New Years Eve News No Apologies NY Giants O2 Orianthi Out and About People Magazine Philadelphia Soul Philanthropy Pictures President Obama Promo Q Quebec quickie Rants Real Estate Rehab Reviews Richie Sambora Rock and Roll HOF Rock Band 3 Rock in Rio Rock of Ages rock star baby Rockin' Rio Royal Beach RSO Slippery When Wet SoHo Penthouse Soraia Soul Kitchen St. Bart's Story Updates Streaming Stumping Superman Tonight Superstorm Sandy TaraLeigh Taryn Elliott TDB Television The Band The Circle The Circle Tour The Grammys The Grove The Today Show The Tony's This Ain't A Love Song This House is Not For Sale This is Our House Throwback Thursday Tickets Tico Torres Tour Dates Toxic Avenger Tribeca Film Festival Twilight Twilight Saga Valentine's Day VH1 Videos Washington DC wayback wednesday We Weren't Born to Follow Webcast What About Now What Do You Got When We Were Beautiful White House Council White Trash Beautiful Wine WTC Anniversary WTF You Can Go Home

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP