Together and with The Power of We, we can start a revolution. One Soul at a time... ~Jon Bon Jovi *** There's a Story on every street corner, my friend. All you have to do is open your eyes... ~Richie Sambora

Jon Bon Jovi Interview - Time Out London

Thursday, June 24, 2010

As Bon Jovi pack out the O2, we ask the band’s entourage to put their questions to the frontman



Behind every great man, they say, there’s a great woman. But if that man is an enormodome-rocking titan of cowboy-ish rawk-pop, there’ll also be roadies. And sound engineers. So, to get a unique insight into the mind of Jon Bon Jovi – currently tearing up the 02 Arena at 48 years of age – we decided to solicit questions from the people who know him best: the people he goes on the road with…

Mike Savas, management: ‘Is the jet really better than the tour bus?’

‘Yes. I would work another job before I gave up the airplane. It seats 20, but all that matters is that it seats one… me. I’ve had the same stewardess for 23 years. She’s everything you need her to be: mom or bartender. Airplanes are the way for me. I wouldn’t know what a tour bus is like. That’s like dying and going to hell.’

David Bryan, keyboard player: ‘Who in the band makes you laugh most?’

‘David Bryan. The guy just thinks funny. I mean, what can I tell you? Just look at him’

Dean Grillo, chiropractor: ‘What would make you stop touring?’

‘People not wanting to come see it, though I don’t see you and I having this conversation when I’m 60 or 70. I don’t know how Jagger does it, God bless him. Jagger’s gotta do the shit I gotta do. So I’m holding the bar up to see how high and how long he can go, but goddamn, that’s tough’

Obie O’Brien, recording engineer: ‘What’s this button for?'

‘I don’t know and don’t want to know. That for you, sir, is called job security. If you work on a recording console, it’s got a hundred-and-some-odd knobs and dials on it. The truth is they’re laid out in strips. But if you didn’t know, you’d think that guy’s a genius for knowing how to work it. So if you asked him, “What’s that button for?” he could tell you and make it really simple, or he could continue that job security and not tell you.’

Mike, rigger: ‘Why is your mic stand white?’

‘It was painted white in 1983. That’s not the original but it’s almost that old. I don’t remember why I painted it white, probably emulating somebody else, but I don’t recall who.’

Anthony Piedmonte, tour assistant: ‘Will you ever run for office'

‘I’ll run from office is more like it. Who in their right mind would want to be a politician? It’s a thankless job. I was flying with my wife and President Clinton and a guy asked the two of us whose job was better. I said, “Mine, because I get to keep the house and the airplane.” ’

Ike, front-of-house engineer: ‘As a songwriter, what song do you want to be remembered for?’

‘I’ll probably be most remembered for songs like “Wanted Dead or Alive” and “Living on a Prayer” but you also want [it to be] every song you write. With every latest one, you think: That’s it, I’ve outdone it. What are they going to write in my obituary? “Wanted Dead or Alive” and “Living on a Prayer”. Hey, it’s better to have had one. Shit, I’ve been lucky enough to have had six.’

Cheryl, management: ‘What is your motivation to keep going?’

‘This is the best job ever, next to Santa Claus. He’s probably the only guy who’s universally liked more than a guy in a rock band. People’s uninformed viewpoint of what his job entails sounds like just Christmas morning, but Santa puts in a lot of work. The pleasures wouldn’t come without all of the dedication and commitment. There’s a lot of adulation for doing something that seems so simple.’

Knute, security: ‘If you weren’t Bon Jovi’s lead singer, what would you be doing?’

‘Working for Bon Jovi. Anyone, from being on the road crew to management, hasn’t got a bad gig. Being the stewardess is also pretty good. A lot of people have been with us most of their adult lives. Good work if you can get it.’

Sooner, lighting director: ‘What was the first concert you went to?’

‘First concert was Rush, Heart and the Doobie Brothers in 1975 at a high school in Erie, Pennsylvania. It’s a crazy line-up and, because it was meant to rain, they flip-flopped the bill, so the Doobie Brothers went on first and Rush closed the show. Not that I knew what that meant when I was a 12- or 13-year-old kid. And I think we smoked far too much. We kept count and, in retrospect, it was likely to have been nothing more than glorified oregano, but we thought we smoked a lot.’

Bugsy, production chief: ‘Which song do you wish you’d written?’

‘Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah”. I have such feeling for the lyric and understanding of the lyric. Too many kids sing that song like a Christmas carol and haven’t got a fucking clue about the sexuality and the innuendo in that lyric. It’s just it’s a big part of who I am, the storytelling connection with that audience member who I’m singing it to.’

Glen the Finger, monitor engineer: ‘Besides you, who’s your favourite rock star?’

‘Elton John… greatest guy in the biz. Elton loves music. Elton is a fan of music. He buys records every week, he encourages young artists, he has taken more than one and made them into stars. Can you imagine getting a note or a call when you’re some nobody kid named James Blunt five years ago, going “Hi, it’s Elton John, I want to help you.” You’d probably just shit yourself.’

Abby, stylist: ‘Do you have a lucky pair of shoes?’

‘Not really, I usually wear boots until they have holes in the soles. And I wear basketball sneakers on stage. They’re easier to start, stop, jump in. Boots are too tough on the knees.’

Tony Bongiovi, video director (and Jon’s brother): ‘What am I getting for a tour bonus?’

‘Tony, stop asking questions. Ask Mom.’

1 comments:

WomanOfTheCity June 24, 2010 at 11:31 AM  

That is a really funny interview.

Post a Comment

Queenie would love to know who's following along. Comments are both encouraged and appreciated!

Queenie's Loyal Subjects

About Me

My photo
I am and always have been a Bon Jovi fan. This blog is just my obsession taken a step further, my imagination in high gear if you will. I love to read and decided to see what would happen when I took that love of the written word and ramped it up a bit.

You Can Go Home

Jon Bon Jovi Soul Foundation

The Traveling Guitar

What Q Has to Say

30th Anniversary Access Hollywood Advil Aftermath of the Lowdown Albums AMAs American Idol Articles Auctions Avon Awards Bamboozle Festival Because We Can Because We Can - the Tour Benefit Concert Biker Bash Billboard bits and bobs Bon Jovi Books Born to Be My Baby Bruce Springsteen Burning Bridges Calvin and Hobbes Campaign Can Do Awards Cari Quinn Characters Unite Christmas CNN Comics Concerts Contests Danny Gokey Daughtry David Bergman David Bryan Digital Download Disaster Aid Discography Diving Into Hampton Water Do What You Can DVDs DVR Alerts Extra Facebook Fan Club favorites Fictionistas Football Forbes Fun Stuff Fundraisers Golden Globes Golf Greatest Hits gulf shores Hamptons Happy Now Hard Rock Calling Holidays Hugh McDonald Hurricane Sandy In Memoriam Inside The Actor's Studio Interviews Jazz Fest Jennifer Nettles Jon Bon Jovi Jon Bon Jovi and Friends Jon Bon Jovi Soul Foundation Keep The Faith Kings of Suburbia Letterman London Love's The Only Rule Madison Square Garden Master Class MDA Telethon Memphis Merchandise Merry Christmas Midnight Mission Miscellaneous Mohegan Sun Montreal Movies MTV Awards Music New Jersey New Meadowlands Stadium New Years Eve News No Apologies NY Giants O2 Orianthi Out and About People Magazine Philadelphia Soul Philanthropy Pictures President Obama Promo Q Quebec quickie Rants Real Estate Rehab Reviews Richie Sambora Rock and Roll HOF Rock Band 3 Rock in Rio Rock of Ages rock star baby Rockin' Rio Royal Beach RSO Slippery When Wet SoHo Penthouse Soraia Soul Kitchen St. Bart's Story Updates Streaming Stumping Superman Tonight Superstorm Sandy TaraLeigh Taryn Elliott TDB Television The Band The Circle The Circle Tour The Grammys The Grove The Today Show The Tony's This Ain't A Love Song This House is Not For Sale This is Our House Throwback Thursday Tickets Tico Torres Tour Dates Toxic Avenger Tribeca Film Festival Twilight Twilight Saga Valentine's Day VH1 Videos Washington DC wayback wednesday We Weren't Born to Follow Webcast What About Now What Do You Got When We Were Beautiful White House Council White Trash Beautiful Wine WTC Anniversary WTF You Can Go Home

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP